- What's New
- Board Meetings
- Board Subscriber List
- Customer Satisfaction Survey
- Decisions Pending and Opportunities for Public Participation
- Department of Consumer Affairs
- Expedited Licensure for Military Spouses/Domestic Partners
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
- Legislation and Regulations
- License Verification
- Recommended Links
- Renewal Waiver for Active Duty Military Licensees
- Disaster Preparedness
Continuing Education on Disability Access Requirements
As a condition of license renewal, architects must comply with the following:
- Complete five hours of coursework on disability access requirements (see below) within the previous two years. The coursework must be presented by trainers or educators with knowledge and experience in the disability access requirements.
- Certify to the Board on the renewal application that he/she has completed the required coursework by signing the application.
- Maintain records documenting completion of the required coursework for two years from the date of license renewal.
- Provide, upon request, records to the Board for auditing. Records must include the following:
- Course title;
- Subjects covered;
- Name of provider and trainer or educator;
- Date of completion;
- Number of hours completed; and
- Statement about the trainerís or educatorís knowledge and experience background.
Licensees are encouraged to complete these requirements timely in order to avoid a delay in the processing of their license renewal. Licensees who fail to complete the required coursework cannot renew their license nor practice architecture until they have fulfilled these requirements.
The coursework on disability access requirements must include information and practical guidance concerning the requirements imposed by the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (Public Law 101-336; 42 U.S.C. Sec. 12101 et seq.), state laws that govern access to public facilities, and federal and state regulations adopted pursuant to those laws.
The Board does not have the authority to approve course providers or courses. Coursework on disability access requirements is available from a variety of sources. Below are some of the sources to assist architects in finding courses. However, the Board does not endorse any specific course or provider. Other providers are available, including online providers. When selecting a course, be sure to choose one that the course content meets the requirements described above. Verify that the material is presented by trainers or educators with knowledge and expertise in disability access requirements.
- The American Institute of Architects, California Council
- California Building Officials
- Division of the State Architect
You may also check with your local Building Department.
The Board conducts audits of completed coursework. Licensees who are selected for an audit will be required to submit coursework documentation confirming that they have fulfilled the requirement. Licensees must keep their coursework documentation for at least two years from the date of their license renewal (BPC section 5600.05).
Important - Licensees who submit false or misleading information or fail to respond to the Boardís request for documentation will be subject to an administrative citation, which may include an administrative fine or disciplinary action (BPC section 5600.05).