- What's New
- Board Meetings
- Board Subscriber List
- Customer Satisfaction Survey
- Decisions Pending and Opportunities for Public Participation
- Department of Consumer Affairs
- Expedited Licensure for Military Spouses/Domestic Partners
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
- Legislation and Regulations
- License Verification
- Recommended Links
- Renewal Waiver for Active Duty Military Licensees
- Disaster Preparedness
An architect license that is not renewed within five years after its expiration date is cancelled. A cancelled license cannot be renewed, restored, reissued, or reinstated. The holder of a cancelled license may apply for and obtain a new license by relicensure only if they pay all of the fees and meet all of the requirements for obtaining an original license.
The relicensure process requires, at a minimum, completion of a relicensure application, payment to the Board of both the evaluation fee ($100) and the examination fee ($100), and mandatory successful completion of the California Supplemental Examination (CSE).
How to Apply
- Complete an Application for Relicensure, attach a check for $100 made payable to the California Architects Board, and send it to 2420 Del Paso Road, Suite 105, Sacramento, CA 95834.
- Submit a statement indicating the reason(s) the license expired.
- Surrender the original wall certificate and pocket license card OR provide a statement under penalty of perjury indicating why compliance is not possible.
- Submit a project list containing all projects worked on in the last 10 years OR a statement under penalty of perjury indicating that no California projects were worked on during the time the license was expired.
IMPORTANT: The project list must include the following information: the name and address of the client, type of project, construction costs, date the project was started and completed, and all services provided by you.
A review will be conducted to determine eligibility for the CSE once the Board has received the above items. An Application for the CSE is mailed only when a candidate is determined to be eligible.
If you have questions about the relicensure process, please contact the Board by telephone at (916) 574-7220 or by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).